Thursday, March 18, 2010

LOOK OUT! I'M WHINING AGAIN!!

Hello again, Blogging Buddies! Good to see you.

Alright. The whining begins immediately. If you have cheese where you are now, I highly recommend you go get some. I begin with a rich, red Cabernet Sauvignon. (I know... I'm doing this backward. Always start light and end with the heavier wine.)

A friend of mine used one of the nationally-franchised tax services last year (2009) to file 2008 taxes. I am warning you about those services in the event you are using or considering the use of one. My friend had started a job in September of 2008 requiring my friend to be an Independent Contractor. My friend clearly stated to the tax preparer that the income from that job was only for a 4-month period but that in 2009, it was expected to be a 12-month income. The preparer provided my friend with an amount to pay quarterly as estimated tax payments. It's a good thing my friend and I had chatted about this and my friend decided to set back a specific amount from each paycheck for future taxes... not just for the quarterly payments. Why, you ask? Because the tax preparer figured the estimated quarterly payments based on the 4-month income from 2008, leaving my friend about $13,000 shy in tax payments for that year. Now that my friend has returned to the same franchise, it has become clear that last year's preparer was not truly qualified to provide tax assistance or advice. PLEASE!!! If you plan to use one of these firms, understand that you will need to RESEARCH their advice yourself. These people are rarely trained to do more than to punch in the numbers you provide when they ask you a question. They are rarely prepared to think ahead or outside of the "box" that is the franchise methodology. If at all possible, I highly recommend using a CPA for your tax filing.

Okay. Now I'm just going to throw a nice little Chardonnay at you.

When did the courtesy and manners that used to be inherent in business come to an end? I would like to think they may have begun the downward spiral when the internet became such a job-seeker's friend. I'm whining as I have now had first-hand experience with the lack of simple courtesy from the majority of firms with which I have applied for employment. This also applies to some "hand-delivered" or "snail-mail" applications so I can't look solely to the internet as the culprit.
1) If you receive an application/resume' from me, regardless of how it reached you, please have the courtesy to confirm your receipt of same!! I don't know if the black hole of cyberspace swallowed up what I submitted when I hit "Send" nor do I know if the postal carrier used had a vehicle accident that left my paperwork in a ditch somewhere. It doesn't have to be fancy. Just confirm you got it, please?
2) If you have decided to not even talk to me, for whatever reason, please just let me know that. Again... an email, a postcard... send me a carrier pigeon for crying out loud! How long should I hold onto the copy of what I sent to you? A month? Six months? Forever?
3) If you have actually talked to me but decided on another candidate, please just let me know that. (See #2 above for additional instruction here.) It won't send me over the edge. Really. My self-image is not really fragile. In fact, I will simply chuckle at your error in selecting someone less qualified and/or capable!! :) Your rejection is not going to send me into a black depression. Really.
There are a lot of us out here seeking employment. Most of us are trying to do our best to provide you with our best foot forward. It would be exceptionally kind of you to do the same.

Stepping down from my soapbox now. Hope you enjoyed your cheese. :)

Until next time, faithful readers...

No comments: