Saturday, March 10, 2012

FUN AT THE RANGE!!!

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies!!  I can't believe I have been so derelict in posting.  Please forgive me.  I have a fun tale to impart today and hope it will make up for the drought!

A friend of mine had obtained a small pistol but was not comfortable with using it.  She has friends in the Sheriff's Department here and they had been encouraging her to join them at the Department's shooting range for a little instruction and practice.  (If you are going to have a weapon, you should definitely know how to use it!!)  She had mentioned this to me a while back and I happily agreed to accompany her whenever her schedule permitted.  We finally reached that point.

When I told the spousal-unit about our planned field trip, he immediately started packing my "bag" of weaponry and appropriate bullets along with a couple of ear protection devices and other miscellaneous paraphernalia.  I could barely carry the darned thing but I was certainly "loaded for bear" after his attention!!  :)  (Thank you, dear.)

We added two other young ladies to the trip and arrived at our appointed time at the range.  We found our lovely instructors waiting for us.  After unloading my "bag" and laying all items out on the table in "safe" position (unloaded and opened to show same), it was like "show and tell."  Our instructors walked along the tables, checking out our weapons.  After becoming comfortable that we were not likely to accidentally shoot one of them while walking to the shooting area, we loaded up again and wandered out to the range.  There were silhouette targets already waiting for us.  I was ready to get started!!

Our instructors were absolutely wonderful.  My friends were not quite as practiced as I and our fellas spent as much time as necessary to make them comfortable with what they were about to do.  I waved them off when they inquired whether I needed instruction and waited for us to "go hot" on the range.

I won't bore you with all of the details but we shot the heck out of those silhouette targets!!  I used all three of my weapons to rip various areas on the target into oblivion.  What fun!!!  I noticed the other ladies were apparently enjoying themselves, too.  We ran through a couple of drills that our instructors felt we might like.  We pretty much kept shootin' until they were out of bullets!!

Our new friends spent a little time demonstrating "Rolling Thunder" for us before asking us to attempt it.

My friend who wanted to learn to use her pistol got plenty of one-to-one instruction and indicated she felt better after having spent this time.

Finally, after all of their hard work and patience with us, we decided that we should be known as "Dwayne's and Dale's Angels" from this point forward.  (We're Freddie's Angels, too, but he was taking the picture!)

As a small token of our thanks, we took a Thank You card and 3 dozen home-made Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip cookies to them the next week.  Hope they enjoyed them and will not run screaming from the building when we show up again!!  LOL!!

There is another adventure coming this Friday, the 16th.  I won't tell you what it is... but I will post about it, with pictures, once I have returned!!

Until next post...

No comments: