Friday, June 13, 2014

LOUISIANA TRAVELS!!! PART I

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies!!  Glad to see you haven't left me yet!

Things have been a little busy but my very excellent friend, Charlotte B., and I took a weekend to do a little Louisiana traveling.  I had always wanted to go to Avery Island, home of that FABulous product, Tabasco.  It is between Lafayette and New Iberia, south of Interstate 10.  We decided to stay in Lafayette overnight Saturday night and left for our road trip early Saturday morning.

I knew there was a little store on Avery Island and some sights to be seen but wasn't sure exactly what to expect.  I was very pleasantly surprised at the lovely environment we found ourselves in on a Saturday morning.  Let me share some photos with you.  It may take a few posts to get them all to you so bear with me.
A LITTLE HISTORICAL INFO
A SURPRISE WAITING AROUND THE CORNER


WHAT IS THAT?

AN 800+ YEAR OLD BUDDHA GIFTED TO E.A. McILHENNY BY FRIENDS!!

BEAUTIFUL STONE BRIDGE THE BUDDHA OVERLOOKS

LOVE THE TREE "SCULPTURES"

MORE "SCULPTURES"
My friend, Charlotte, got this beautiful "sculpture" shot!

Always a fan of flora & fauna, I spotted this beautiful bird alone doing some fishing (it was... not me).  I waited a bit to see if it would fly off and got some really fun shots of its short flight into the shade.


 





Wondered where all of this bird's buddies were... and found them at the rookery!!!  Noisy place, this!


Again, my friend with all of the "proper" camera equipment including a much better zoom lens than my poor little Samsung phone can offer, got a lovely shot of a flying egret.


Back at the Tabasco Country Store, next to the actual Tabasco manufacturing plant, we found a "hot" fish biting on a "hot" pepper!!  Smart fish!  It knows what's good!  :)



So... while we were a little "hot" ourselves (it was darned toasty out there, folks!), we still could appreciate and enjoy the fun and frivolity of Avery Island.  I had always wanted to go and I am glad I did.  Even saw some little gators swimming around in the bayous!  They're cute when they're little.

Next post, we'll go to Jefferson Island and the Rip Van Winkle Gardens.  More photos for you to (hopefully!) enjoy and a little more historical information for you to add to your trivia knowledge.

Until next post...

No comments: