Sunday, June 28, 2009

4th ANNUAL BEAUREGARD WATERMELON FESTIVAL

Heidy-ho, Blogging Buddies! Welcome back.

Some of you know the lengths to which I will go to provide you with Blog Candy. Some of you may not yet have a full appreciation of my dedication.

To that, I provide for you the photos taken this afternoon (Sunday, June 28th) between 3:00 p.m. CDT and 4:00 p.m. CDT in the 101 degree heat (!) to brighten your day and enlighten you about the product... watermelons. These are not just any old watermelons. These are Sugartown Watermelons. Now, Sugartown is a teeny little bump in the road with an estimated population between 340 and 440 souls. But the watermelons from there? Sweet sugary watermelony goodness. Honest. Without further ado, let's see how the 4th Annual Beauregard Watermelon Festival looked on Sunday afternoon!

I tried to purchase a T-Shirt 'cuz I just loved the logo... but they were out of my size. That's what I get for going late to a festival around here! The nice lady selling them did hold up the official poster for me so I would at least have a photo of it. Thank you!


One of the few remaining participants in the livestock show portion of the Festival was kind enough to pose for a photo. Uh... well... actually he posed for two but the first one was strictly of his... shall we say "shank" portion since he turned on me just as I was snapping the pic! :) He was VERY personable and VERY good-looking, though.

The Children's Booth was popular... even in the heat! I'm sure the Watermelon Eating Contest was fun to watch... but it had already taken place. There was enough face-painting and balloon-animal-making going on, however, to keep all the young'uns busy.

I had snapped a quick photo of the exterior of the DeRidder Fire Department's Fire Safety House when this young fella' popped his head out of the door and said "Cheese!!" I told him to get his "cheese" on outside to get in a picture. He complained it was hot out there!! I had to remind him he IS a firefighter!!! Hello?!?!?!?!? LOL!! He complied and let me get a good picture of him AND the Fire Safety House.

Okay. One more pic for today. I'll have to finish this up tomorrow. Had too much fun with the camera and I don't want to bog anyone down while they are online!! There were just SO many shots to take!

So, finally, in case you think watermelon was the only treat at the fair, I submit for your consideration the Roasted Sweet Corn entree' followed by the gourmet Frozen Chocolate-Dipped Cheesecake dessert!! It just doesn't get any better than this! :)

I promise a few more photos including one of those Sugartown Watermelons.

On another note entirely, we have had a wonderful rain shower here this afternoon (after we returned from the Festival). Rain gauges around here reported only 0.59 inch for the entire month of June so far. That's pretty bad stuff in southwest Louisiana. Of course, the local rag today included the "2009 Hurricane Tracking Guide" which included information on Food, Water, and Ice Distribution Sites. Kind of reminded me I had left the relative non-catastrophe zone of Central Texas (hailstorms aren't really catastrophes although they can cause considerable damage!) for an area that provides Distribution Site information. Well... with depressions in the Gulf, we'll definitely have a better chance for rain!! Right? Sure.

So, Blogging Pals... thanks, as always, for your attention. Until next post...

No comments: