Monday, June 29, 2009

4th ANNUAL BEAUREGARD WATERMELON FESTIVAL PART II

Hello again, Blogging Buddies!

As promised, I post today in order to complete the photographic journey of the 4th Annual Beauregard Watermelon Festival. Without further ado...

There was a covered (and air-conditioned!) pavilion where some vendors chose to set up and hawk their wares. This pavilion also contained a stage where there was apparently a diverse presentation of local and nearby musicians. Since our attendance was on Sunday, we missed out on the Zydeco and Country and found ourselves regaled with Gospel music during our stroll. Yep. These lovely ladies, surrounded by all things vaguely watermelon, were providing some good ol' Gospel music to the delight of the fairly good-sized crowd in attendance!

Every Festival should have a midway... albeit a small one. There were sufficient rides, however, to likely make the young'uns very happy and the older ones... well, after a sugar-filled evening of watermelon, snow cones, and cotton candy, I can't really imagine how some of the "upside-down" rides went over with the teens. *chuckle* I will state for the record, however, that I NEVER "lost it" on a carnival ride. Of course, I also must state that I knew to quit when I was ahead!!!

Remember that tree-felling picture way back when? Remember how I mentioned the amount of time I had to wait to get that shot? Well, that was nothing compared to the amount of time spent waiting for this one!! This young'un was absolutely bound and determined he was going to ride the mechanical bull!! The bull, on the other hand, while as lifeless as a concrete block wall, was apparently even more determined that the young lad was NOT going to make that 8-second ride to "victory." Each time I stood poised to get the shot, the young'un would roll right off of that bull's back!! Finally, I decided I would snap it just as the operator of the "ride" started it up. It was a good decision. The young'un was off of the bull's back about a half a second after I snapped this!

I have always loved a Merry-Go-Round. It has always been my favorite. Even as a teenager, I would make certain to make at least one trip at the annual Beauregard Parish Fair (you'll see some of that in October!). Heck, I've ridden a Merry-Go-Round as an adult! So, with my eye on the running rooster (who I could relate to as my favorite cartoon character, Foghorn Leghorn!), I tried to entice the spousal-unit to "go for a spin" with me. Alas... he encouraged me to carry on but declined to join me. Well... a Merry-Go-Round ride alone is no real Merry-Go-Round ride. So, I decided to hold out for the Fair in October. (If you are reading this, dear, there will be another opportunity!)

Finally, just in case you think I may have forgotten what this was all about... I would like to present to you the world-famous... well, state-famous... okay, Parish-famous Sugartown Watermelons!! They really are yummy and I wish I could send you each a piece to enjoy. :)

Until next post...

No comments: