Monday, November 9, 2009

QUEEN OF THE 25-MINUTE INTERVIEW

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies!! Good to have you back!

Alright. Let's talk about the employment situation here. I remain unemployed with only a few folks actually contacting me about my resume'. You would be amused at some of the job opportunities I have actually applied for... only because there is a dearth of opportunities here and I'm really willing to do nearly anything rather than nothing!! :)

But... last week was a HUGE week in my employment pursuit! I had two... yes, count them... TWO... interviews last week... AND... I am actually qualified for either job (well actually, I'm a little overqualified... but what I mean is I understand the jobs and have done something similar in my life in the past). This was a bonanza for sure! One interview was last Wednesday and the other was last Friday. Now here is what I refer to in the Title of this post.

The Wednesday interview was about doing something I have quite a bit of experience with in the past. There were two interviewers, both of whom had my resume' at hand. I did point out early on I had experience in the field but it had been prior to the beginning date of my resume' (I figure no one needs more than a 15-year history of employment). Both parties made note of this information. The only questions they had relative to the job was 1) had I read the job description (yes), and 2) was there anything I felt like might be a problem (no). Beyond that, we talked about the town, everyone's history there, who "our people" were, and generally chatted about the folks we knew in common. The interview began at 9:20 a.m. and ended at 9:45 a.m. My 25 minutes there was done. They have "several applicants" and will be finishing up interviews and talking about a decision in the "next 3-4 days" which I take to mean the end of this week since we had a weekend in between and it always takes longer than is expected. We'll see.

The Friday interview was in an environment I am not familiar with but the job itself was one I have done nearly my entire working life... essentially, customer service. The interviewer was young but very astute and easy to chat with. In this case, we had the entire LIST of standard interview questions to roll through (I don't think Behavioral Interviewing has made it to this company yet). We determined my Strengths, Weaknesses, etc., and my interviewer was kind enough to provide me with a very extensive and informative description of the job (the ad in the paper had nothing except job title and where to apply!) as well as the environment. There was discussion about those things, as well. Finally, we did chat about "our people", growing up here (my interviewer had moved to Houston but had returned with family so we had the Texas connection going), and the circumstances that had caused each of us to return. I did gain some hope there as the interviewer indicated a desire to hand off my resume'/application to the regional supervisor for consideration in the event there was something at that level that might be a good fit. Of course, that also makes me feel as though the position I applied for is not going to offer much and the interviewer knows that. Sigh. Oh well. Very pleasant interview... that began at 11:30 a.m. and ended at 12:05 p.m. Yep. My 25 minutes there was done.

So, my Blogging Pals... I remain unemployed (but my yard is really looking great!) but, as always, hopeful. I will let you know if I hear something positive from either of these places. If you don't hear, know that my status has not changed. :)

Lots to come! There was a Fly-In/Drive-In this past Saturday at the Beauregard Regional Airport. Lots of great pictures for you! There was the Methodist Women's Bazaar (where I scored two VERY cool knit scarves, a pint of Mayhaw jelly for the aunt, and a Louisiana Pecan Cake that I can't wait to get into!). A few pictures there. Sunday afternoon, I attended the matinee performance of the Impromptu Players' latest; Tom Sawyer, The Musical. No photos here, just some comments.

Until the next post...

No comments: