Saturday, January 23, 2010

LESSONS LEARNED BY VOLUNTEERING

Hello again, Blogging Pals. My apologies for yet another delay between postings.

Today I want to chat with you about my experiences in volunteering at the Beauregard Agape Community Clinic here in Louisiana. It (volunteering) has been something new to me, I'm ashamed to admit, but I seem to have found more time on-my-hands here. :) Perhaps the lessons I am learning by doing so are the reasons I have so much time? I won't try to second-guess things. That's a no-win situation. I will just go with the flow!

So... I chatted with the Executive Director of the clinic back in perhaps October? I believe that's when I filled out the volunteer application indicating my willingness to be a receptionist, a screener (these folks qualify the patients before they can see the doctors), provide food, help clean the place up... whatever! I had no idea where I could add value but I knew I was not a licensed medical professional (!) so that helped me narrow my choices.

During our conversation, the E.D. (Kathy) and I discovered we had some things in common! She had worked at a large aerospace manufacturing firm in the Pacific Northwest with its IT (Information Technology) department. I had worked at a large telecommunications firm with its headquarters in the same Pacific Northwest with its IT department. We actually speak pretty much the same language!!! That, in itself, was very exciting news!! Someone to chat with who would understand some of the things I might say while attempting to "improve" a process!! Hooray!! Oh... and she is the younger sister of yet another of my high school graduation pals. Sigh. This is a place where everyone knows everyone, folks. I know my "big city" pals can't quite grasp that.

At any rate, I asked her where she thought I might be able to add the most value. LESSON #1: If you offer up your services without defined parameters, you have NO idea what you may end up doing!! :) She mentioned an area where only one person was really involved at that time. The Prescription Assistance Program (or Patient Assistance Program) offered by many of the big pharmaceutical companies is a real help to free clinics. Many provide their brand-name medications at no cost... yep... you heard me... free... to patients who are in a free clinic environment. Most have essentially the same income guidelines as the clinics so there aren't too many folks who would qualify for care at the clinic but not for the PAP of most of the big pharmas. The down side? The paperwork. Ah yes, my pals... each and every different pharma has its own little paperwork and its own little quirks within! Some have a very simple one-page form (imagine!) that just requires the doc's signature and the prescription. Others have up to four pages to complete, requiring the doc's signature but NOT asking for the actual prescription being satisfied for you to check off which of their meds you need. Others have their own little differences. I suppose asking them all to consolidate at LEAST the paperwork would be out of the question. Sigh.

So... I embarked on the world of PAP and its nuances. I will say we have come a long way since October when I began. We have a bit of a process now in place that will allow us to track things a bit more easily. We are ironing out which PAP programs we can actually USE vs. those that serve only specific states vs. those that have a $20 co-pay for a 90-day supply of meds. It's been a bit of a challenge and we're not there yet... but there are boxes of meds showing up at the doc's office all the time and the pharmacy in the clinic has not yet indicated it is in danger of running out of meds. So, we're pleased! LESSON #2: Having no idea about what you are doing as a volunteer means nothing. The concept is that you will eventually figure it out or make something up to get it done. Either way is fine. No one asks questions!

I became aware in December that a training class for new receptionists and one for new screeners was going to be held in January. When I mentioned my past experience facilitating training classes, I found myself with a new job at the clinic. Understand I am still working on the PAP process documentation, etc., but I am also now facilitating the "basic" portion of the training classes. LESSON #3: Open your mouth... have a new job. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, I suggest you watch what you say and to whom while working with any volunteer organization. I personally believe there are "volunteer scouts" within these places that are professionals at gleaning tidbits that will serve the greater good in the future. "Resistance is futile!" :)

Okay. There are more lessons but I have gone long... again. Perhaps we'll visit some more in the future. What I do want to say is that my experiences thus far with the clinic have been very rewarding. It is nice to be able to use some of that knowledge and some of those skills I spent so much time acquiring for a good cause!! The other volunteers are all just happy to see you show up. The patients are all just thrilled and amazed that they can come in, get registered and qualified, see a doctor, get any prescribed meds, and leave without having to spend a dime. There is a "donation" jar and there have been patients who have left a dollar or two to show their gratitude. There are other patients who have prepared homemade goodies and brought them to the clinic to "pay back" the kindness shown to them. It is incredibly wonderful to watch this whole thing take place. Very rewarding business, this volunteerism.

So... when you feel like maybe there is no one willing to hire you and you can't even get arrested... find someplace to volunteer. You will feel very welcomed and valued. I promise. It's certainly done me a world of good.

Until next time...

No comments: