Sunday, February 21, 2010

SOME STUFF DONE RECENTLY

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies!! Thanks for stopping by!

Well, nothing exciting here. Thought I would just catch you up on a few things I've done recently.

First of all, my aunt's fabulous next-door neighbor, Susan L., showed up with one of the rescue dogs that will be up for adoption after it successfully finishes its heartworm treatment. She's a cutie!! She was very much a lover and content to sit in one's lap as long as there was petting involved. Here is Halle, happily situated in my aunt's lap!!
If you aren't aware of the difference between dogs and cats, let me point out that Halle was all about the affection. Looking for love. Wanting to be held. My cat, Dude, on the other hand... well, I think the look says it pretty well. "Leave me alone. This is MY basket and you better not try to move it or me!"
Okay. Those were close-to-home events. The spousal-unit and I decided to take a little day trip up to Fort Polk, specifically to the Kisatchie National Forest area, where there are some interesting places he had discovered on some of his previous trips there. Understand the entire park covers about 604,000 acres!! The area we visited is the Vernon Unit of the Calcasieu Ranger District which is about a 25-minute drive from home. The weather was cool but sunny with a little breeze and it was a great day to just "road trip" a little ways. We started out at the Blue Hole Recreation Area. It was a very lovely area with lots of trees, a very tiny pond and a rather substantial pond, a bird-watching area with a gazebo, and just a very nice ambiance. Here are a couple of shots.
The interesting things about traveling to this area are the signs one sees along the road.

Top: Endangered Species Site
Left: Do Not Disturb
Right: Restricted Activity
Bottom: Red-Cockaded Woodpecker

"Wildlife Management Area"
"No Guns, Dogs, or Trapping Allowed Without Permission"

My Personal Favorite below:
Remember... we ARE adjacent to an Army Base... and they DO use the property there. :)

Let's keep going. We went to the Fullerton Lake Campground. My aunt was particularly interested in this as she was actually born in Fullerton!! Technically, not much remains in the town... maybe a few homes... but it was a thriving community when she arrived! If you have time, the link will provide you with some VERY detailed and VERY interesting information on the town's beginning and end. It began in 1907. It ended in 1927.


Did I mention it was a little COOL that day? The shot above was after we had begun the 1.5 mile hike around the Lake and were headed to the area where the old mill and other buildings had stood. We were about 2/3 of the way through the hike when this is what we saw as our only option to continue: No, honey. I don't need to have DRY TENNIS SHOES AND SOCKS ON to continue this hike!! Of course I love you. Why do you ask? We sloshed through about three areas like this before regaining dry ground. Sigh. Honestly. Oh well... it's the adventure, right? :)

Near the end of the hike around the Lake and after marveling at all of the remaining concrete from the structures that had once proudly stood, we came upon this lovely sight.
Looking back...
A final shot before we head home... It was a lovely day and very interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's one of the things one can do here in southwest Louisiana... and it's free! :)

I will post again soon about the Garden Forum but this has already run too long!

Until next post...

No comments: