Friday, February 12, 2010

NOT AGAIN!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Pals. I apologize for my tirade in the Title today. I just don't know what else to do!

So, you'll recall our little snowfall back on December 4, 2009. It was unusual enough I felt the need to inform you about it. Then there was our multiple day hard freeze back on January 8th & 9th, I believe. Again, it was unusual and I chose to chastise Al about it. Okay. Either of those would have qualified to allow for an "unusual winter" down here in southwest Louisiana. Combined, well they pretty much were the topic of conversation for a month... each! Apparently we ran out of things to talk about and so... it is happening again. I awoke this morning, 2/12/2010, to this:

... and it is STILL snowing! The temperature is only 32 degrees so the ground is clearly not frozen and there is no accumulation of anything but wetness on the streets... but I am OVER THIS!!! C'Mon!!!

There are at least six male Cardinals and an equal number of females vying for position at my safflower feeder. There are a plethora of little finches darting in and out amongst them going for whatever they can get their little beaks on! There are birds on the feeder, on the ground, and in the branches of the large shrub where the feeder hangs. I have another feeder I will be placing out as soon as the snow stops so at least they will have plenty of food if they are smart enough to hang out in my backyard! :) The birdbath is full, also.

So, Big Al... while you hide from the media these days, unwilling to answer the hard questions about WHY we are having such cold & snowy weather throughout the U.S., know that you will eventually have to come out and face us. Like Punxsutawney Phil, you will eventually be dragged from the darkness into the light and called upon to 'splain this!!!

I am a born-and-bred Southerner. This is NOT funny. The only saving grace here is that I know there will be garden seedlings available at every little nursery next month. You can't get THAT north of the Mason-Dixon line, now can you? LOL!!

In fact... I have pre-registered for the Beauregard Parish Garden Forum slated for Saturday, February 20th, 2010. Yep! I am going to immerse myself in the gardening nuances of this area. It is completely different from anything I know (acid soil, LOTS of rain) so I have some "larnin" to do. I am ready to "larn." I will have information and, hopefully, photos to share!

Until the next (and hopefully WARMER!) time...

1 comment:

melanie said...

i'm over it too mary nell.......i dripped water for 10 days straight the 1st time. this time i was going out of town so i turned off my water and drained the pipes. i pray they really were drained and when i get home. enough is enough!