Thursday, July 1, 2010

DECOMPRESS... GOOD TO DO

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies! I have let too much time pass again but I hope you will forgive me.

At the strong recommendation of the spousal-unit (who is the most likely to note any less-than-favorable behaviors on my part!), I scheduled a short R&R for the purposes of decompression. I have returned, refreshed, and ready to continue to face whatever comes.

I know you are accustomed to reading my rants... but this time I have a rave for you!

I absolutely stumbled upon the Lillie Marlene B&B while searching for decompression spots. How lucky can one get?!? I knew where I was headed (west for those of you who might be confused) but I wanted something peaceful, quiet, mellow, and adult... not likely to be a motel with a herd of young'uns vacationing with Mom & Dad. Uh-uh. I spent a lot of time (four hours!) online reviewing B&Bs in the area where I wanted to spend time. The Lillie Marlene had excellent reviews and appeared to have the location and the ambience I was seeking. So... I headed west, snatched up my best friend, Jean, and we continued west to the world of vineyards (Texas ones) and relaxation. We were completely thrilled with our little B&B which was a separate guest house next door to our hosts' (Marlene's & Pat's) residence. It was only 3 blocks off of Main Street which is where the insanity lies and the shopping begins. It was like visiting a friend's house rather than staying in a little room attached to a big house. We had a full kitchen, a covered carport, a den with TV & DVD selections, and quiet. Wonderful silence. We met our hostess upon our arrival. She pointed out the refrigerator items for us. Not just breakfast!! Oh no!! This fridge was loaded with goodies. A split of wine. Two Shiner Bocks. Two bottled waters. Juice in a pitcher. Milk. Homemade granola. That was just what was IN the fridge!! Outside of the fridge we found some marvelous brownies, berry muffins, and... the crowning touch... our host's homemade bread!! This must be what Heaven is like when one first arrives. It certainly felt that way. I encourage any of you in need of restoration to book your time at this lovely little place. If you do, please tell them I sent you!!

Saturday brought us inviting weather and a list of nearby wineries from which to choose. :) We started at Becker Vineyards only because it was the first one we came to!! While it was a little too big and crowded for our taste, we had the most delightful pourer... a French gentleman born and raised in Morocco with a great accent and an incredible moustache! Our second stop was at the winery recommended by our hosts (their favorite), Pedernales Cellars. This was a smaller operation and we enjoyed chatting with our pourer... who moved to Central Texas from Alaska!! What a shock that must have been for her! Our third stop was at a lovely, small Woodrose Winery which offered up table-side tastings and good munchies one could purchase to enjoy with the tastings. We had the cheese plate for two and it was a wonderful snack to ready us for our continued trek! (This was also the winery where I found my new favorite beverage.) Our fourth (and last!) stop for the afternoon was the Torre di Pietra winery which, unfortunately, was the only disappointing stop of the day. The tasting area was dark, not clearly marked, and had a rather dank atmosphere that limited my ability to enjoy it. The wines were not stellar (in MY opinion) and this was the only winery where I did not make a purchase.

So... while I waited perhaps too long to make this visit, I am glad I have done it. I will also make a note to not wait quite so long before my next decompression!! (I really don't want to subject the spousal-unit to the horrors he must have been facing when he suggested I leave!)

Until next time...

No comments: