Saturday, March 12, 2011

WOODPECKER HEAVEN!!!

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies!

I just have to type up a quick post for you all as I had a wonderful nature experience this morning. (If you're not into nature, move on as this will not be of interest.)

I was on my morning walk when two VERY large bird figures caught my eye. There are crows in the area so I thought perhaps there were a couple of them flying in the trees. Fortunately, I kept my eye on them and was rewarded with a wonderful view of two Pileated Woodpeckers!! They seemed to be a pair and I'm betting they are in the process of scouting out a nesting spot. Spring has sprung here, for the most part. They were only about 2 blocks from my house and on my daily route so I will keep an eye out for signs of nesting. There are certainly plenty of trees available here!

I have also seen many Red-Bellied Woodpeckers around. They spend a lot of time on the utility poles and have really wrought some havoc on one at my aunt's house. They are also great fun to watch.

Finally, I spotted a little guy in my back yard a while back. A second sighting provided enough detail to look him up in The Sibley Guide to Birds which is my Bible of birds! He is a Northern Flicker, a variety of woodpecker that spends time on the ground eating ants!!! I love to see him back there chomping away at those pesky little creatures! He can stop by anytime!!

So... that's all I have at the moment. I was just really excited to see the pair of Pileated Woodpeckers and wanted to report to you all. :)

Until next post...

No comments: