Sunday, October 7, 2012

GRAND OPENING... BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!!

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Pals!

Without going into excruciating detail about my lower back issues and the challenges I have had over the years associated with them, I want to do two things:

1)  Update you on those issues, and
2)  Give some credit where it is due!

The year 2010 was a difficult one.  After relocating here in 2009 and having so many changes with which to deal, I found myself considerably heavier than I had ever been and in probably the worst shape of my life.  Ugh!  Not good. Of course, when we don't keep our bodies healthy, we often suffer the consequences of that.  In 2010, I spent a good part of the year flat on my back on an ice pack and eating over-the-counter NSAIDs (Aleve was my NSAID of choice) like they were candy.  X-Rays, MRIs, neurosurgeon visits, and an awful lot of frustration later, I finally encountered a doctor (orthopedic surgeon, I believe?) who gave me a big pile of you-know-what and told me to get busy working out hard to get myself back in shape!  Well... I was horribly offended and mad... which is pretty much what I apparently needed to get me motivated to "prove" what I could do.

Fast forward to January 2011.  That is when I began to walk in the morning again, something I had done while in Texas but something that had gone by the wayside when I arrived here.  I couldn't get very far that first month.  I was worn out every morning and wondered if I had lost my mind!  The second month was a little better and I was traveling a little farther.  The most motivating thing was the lower number i was seeing on the scale!  Portion control was added to the mix once the number started to drop.  Hmmmmm.  This might actually work!  By April 2011, I was feeling pretty darned good about the situation... and had not had a back episode since October 2010!


So, in June 2011 I inadvertently came across a young lady who was setting up to open up a Personal Training studio here.  I had a conversation with her and felt as though she might be able to work with me to help me gain even more ground.  I spoke to my good friend, Susan S., to determine if she would like to be "abused" twice a week with me and we signed ourselves up for our first 24-week session with DeAnna.  Quite honestly, I don't think DeAnna was quite ready to begin training sessions at that time... but she was smart enough to not turn down business and we began working with her that month.

Since then, I have made tremendous progress in strength, flexibility, and balance.  Oh yeah... I've dropped some more of those pounds and quite a few inches and Susan and I have continued to sign up again each time a session ends.

I'm telling you all of this for two reasons:
1)  If you live in this town and are considering doing some working out, I highly recommend DeAnna, Sculpture Training Studio, as a good place to start (http://sculpturetraining.com/Home.html), and
2)  Wherever you are, believe me that you can do a whole lot for your physical health with just a little walking and a little self-restraint!!  It's worth it!!

Oh... the point of this post! DeAnna just had her Grand Opening on October 1st, 2012, about 15 months after we started working out with her. Guess better late than never? :) Here are a few photos from that opening.




Sign in and Sign up for Door prizes!!


I like to call this "The Wall of Pain" although I don't think DeAnna uses that term.


The orange and black are not for Halloween... they are the colors of the studio.  Two beautiful tables of goodies were waiting for Grand Opening attendees.


Plenty of fresh fruit available at this end of the table... brownies and cupcakes at the other end!
 I will tell you that DeAnna had printed up and set on the table next to the brownies and the cupcakes exactly how many Jumping Jacks and some other exercise one would have to do after eating just ONE of either!!!  Don't think we tried either of them.  I'm sure they were good... but so were the grapes and strawberries!

It isn't the New Year and I am not one for resolutions... but if you aren't feeling great every day and are wishing you could do more... you can.  Get up and get moving.  If I can do this, you can, too!!!

Until next post...

No comments: