Friday, October 26, 2012

THE COURTHOUSE TOUR!!! PART I

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Pals!!  Welcome back!

No... it's not what you think.  It was not a "forced" tour.  It was a tour unlike any most folks get to take, however, and I thought you might be interested.

First of all, the Beauregard Parish Courthouse was completed in 1914.  The "Hanging Jail" was completed that same year and was designed by the same architect although the structures are VERY different.  (Please take a few moments to click on the links and read about them!)

At any rate, I had worked at the Clerk of Court's office in the courthouse for two weeks during my high school years.  I was microfiching documents.  If you're too young to know that word, look it up!!!  I have a funny story about that short-term job and I'll be glad to tell you about it if you ask me.

I am going to provide you with a series of photos which are about half of the total you'll see.  We'll start with the basics... an exterior shot followed by some photos taken during our tour of the main floor of the 3-story building.  Believe me, this is just the beginning of a tour I won't soon forget... but you'll have to wait for the exciting second half until my next post.  I promise it will follow immediately.

  


Beautiful marble 8-point star on the main floor


The small courtroom where "minor" trials are held... whatever those are!
 

The bar and Judge's Bench as viewed from the "peanut gallery."


The Jury Box in the large courtroom.  Those chairs don't look too comfy!!


The Jury Deliberation Room - Note both ends of the table are rounded.
Doric, Ionic, or Corinthian?  Do you know which?

If you're old enough to remember Fallout Shelters, you'll also remember "Duck and Cover."

So... is this where the criminals work?  Or is this where they keep the criminals?  Hmmmmm.
I'll end this post for now.  There are about ten more photos I want to share with you.  They are even more interesting than these just due to where they were taken and what they show.

Until Part II...

No comments: