Wednesday, November 21, 2012

FAREWELL TO A GREAT MOM...

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Pals.

It is another sad post for me to sit down and type for you.

When I was growing up, I had a friend, Charlotte, who lived directly behind my family's home & vacant lot.  We became fast friends and would often climb our respective back fences, cross the vacant lot, and climb the other's back fence to get together to play!  Years later, we laughed about being "back fence friends."

Charlotte and I often spent the night together at one or the other house, staying up talking about the silly things most young'uns talk about.  I remember Charlotte's mother, Ann Smith, being just the nicest mom (besides my own) who would allow us to do nearly anything that wasn't illegal or harmful.  I'll never forget staying up very late one night and deciding to make fudge at some ridiculous hour!  There was no vanilla extract to be found so Charlotte and I made the executive decision to use almond extract.  Not a really bad idea... but we used FAR too much, filling the house with the scent of almond to the nth degree!!  The fudge wasn't really great either but Charlotte's mom said it was just wonderful.  Now THAT'S a great mom!!

As life happens, Ann Smith had a very serious stroke right at two years ago this December.  It was major and knocked her down pretty hard and pretty far.  There were some dicey moments when it wasn't certain she would be around much longer.

Well, my blogging pals... don't ever count someone out until they are truly out.  My friend, Charlotte, while working her very full-time job, spent every other waking moment with her mom.  She managed the care her mother received, spent uncountable hours herself working with her mom to help her gain back some skills the stroke had removed from her, read huge amounts of information about stroke victims to help her understand what her mother was going through, and completely immersed herself in providing her mother with the best possible life post-stroke.  It was amazing to watch and fruitful.  Ann Smith regained a LOT of skills, surprising most everyone... except Charlotte.  The progress was obvious and we were all cheering Mrs. Smith on to bigger and better things!

Unfortunately, life happened again and Mrs. Smith had another stroke recently.  This one knocked her back pretty far and she lost many of the skills she had worked so hard to regain.  Obviously this was difficult for her, for her daughter, and for all of her friends.  The recovery she had managed before was not happening this time around.  We all pretty much simply prayed for the best as it was clearly out of our hands.

Mrs. Smith was finally released from her troubles last week.  My friend, Charlotte, called to let me know.  It's amazing how absolutely helpless one can feel when one wants to be the most help.  All I could do was provide some food, a hug, and tell her to let me know when she was ready for any help I could offer.

So, goodbye for now, Mrs. Smith.  You were a great mom and loved by many of your daughter's friends as well as your daughter.  I will always remember you fondly as you were funny, caring, and always had time to spend with us.  I am glad you are now at peace and I will be here for your daughter as best I can.  We'll meet with you again later... and perhaps make you some of that fabulous almond fudge!!  :)

Until next post...

No comments: