Saturday, March 7, 2015

REALLY?!? YOU'RE NOT JUST KIDDING?!?

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies!

Believe it or not, I actually have a few things about which I could post today... but I am going to post only the most important.

Some of you know about the "Blue Bird", a 1971 Piper Cherokee 140 that was purchased in July of 2013.  There was an "exciting" flight from Vidalia, Louisiana, back to the Beauregard Regional Airport in DeRidder, Louisiana, when the engine stopped after takeoff.  (Since it is a single-engine plane, that is a bit of a problem!)  Fortunately, the Spousal-Unit had spent some time working on the plane to get it ready to make its "ferry flight" (a one-time flight to move an aircraft from Point A to Point B) to begin the serious business of having the engine rebuilt and a lot of other work done.  The poor plane had not been flown for quite a few years.  :(  It needed some love.  At any rate, after a few brief moments of "Uh... hmmm... what now?", the Spousal-Unit switched fuel tanks and the engine caught and they began flying again.  Both he and his pilot buddy with him (Hollis O.) were quite relieved although the remainder of the flight was likely a little unnerving!  We all wait for the other shoe to drop after something unexpected occurs!!  I, on the other hand, was completely unconcerned as I drove the 3-hour trip back to DeRidder, unaware of the issue they had faced within just moments of taking off!!  There is truth to "Ignorance is Bliss!"  I was halfway back when I got the call they had landed safely in DeRidder.  It was only then I heard about the little "issue" immediately after takeoff!

So... that was 19 months ago.  The engine was removed and toted to San Antonio, Texas, for its rebuild.  I believe the propeller went along for the ride and was smoothed and balanced.  In the meantime, the Spousal-Unit worked on getting everything cleaned up, reworked/repaired/replaced, and back up-to-speed.  The engine was returned ready to install along with the prop.  The VERY slow process of getting it all up to the Spousal-Unit's specs began.  (I had no idea his specs were QUITE so demanding!)

Finally, after being shamed a few times by me and by some of his "boy friends" about the length of time the whole process was taking, the Spousal-Unit was ready to test out all of his (and Hollis') hard work.  I had been informed quite a while back I would not be going up with him until he had about 10 hours on the rebuilt engine to make sure everything "shakes out" properly.  I suppose I appreciate his unwillingness to scare me with any issues found at the beginning.  :)  So, to answer your question, I have not yet been up with him.  That should come soon, though.

One comment about the videography.  I was using the cell phone video.  It automatically focuses.  Clearly a moving target is difficult to keep in focus so you will see things going in and out of focus a bit.  If you will go to "full screen" when you begin viewing, you will see more easily.

Without further ado... February 28, 2015...



... after about 40 minutes of checking things out...





Am I happy?  Oh yes, I am.  Am I happier than the Spousal-Unit?  No one is.  :)  There was one small issue (oil pressure) that has been resolved.  As I type, the Blue Bird is on her way to the Leesville Airport... her first foray "into the wild" away from a quick glide path back to her own airport.  LOL!!  I am hoping to be invited to fly in a couple of weeks.  Will try to catch some video for you from the cockpit!!

Until next post...

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Very happy for you Ron and Mary Nell I'm looking forward to the pictures from the cockpit from the high blue younder.

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.