Sunday, September 27, 2009

TIPS FOR CORRECTIONAL FACILITY ACCESS

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies!!

As I continue the quest for employment, I am learning things along the way that might be helpful to you at some point in your life. I feel the sharing of my knowledge is the best I can do to assist you.

So... a while back, I had an interview scheduled at a Correctional Facility just across the Sabine River into Texas. The position was to be in the business office. I was given specific directions to facilitate my locating the premises and made a "test run" to be certain I would find it easily and to time the trip. Don't want to be late for an interview! Bad Form!!

The day arrived. I was to interview at 10:30 a.m. I was up and appropriately attired in plenty of time and left the house a wee bit early just in case of any traffic issues, etc.

As I pulled into the very long driveway lined with large trees, it was clear no one would have misidentified the facility. VERY tall chain link fencing topped with loops of razor wire surrounded pretty much every building... including the one into which I needed entry.

Regardless of what some of you may believe, I have NOT spent time at such a facility in the past. :) I parked under the trees, gathered up my purse and folder, and walked toward the first building facing me. When I was nearer, I noted there was a locked gate, a small "boxed in" area surrounded by the fencing, then another gate. Hmmmmmm. Well, there is a camera mounted to my right and up a little bit. Perhaps if I just smile into the camera, someone will recognize I am not there to do harm and push the magic button inside that will open the gate outside. Uh-huh.

Let me back up a bit. There is NOTHING posted on the gate or the fencing where entry is achieved. NOTHING!! No signage... no arrows... no crude drawings providing a hint... no NOTHING!!

Okay. So, I look up at the camera and hear a "click" at the gate. I had noted, during my scan for instructions that did not exist, there was a large piece of metal on the ground to my left below the hinge for the gate. Was it broken? Did anyone know about this? Is that why the gate was not opening after I heard the "click?"

There was no sound emanating from the gate area. Clearly photos were all that were required... audible communication was not. I continued to stand at the gate. I continued to hear the "click" followed by absolutely nothing. At this point, I debated whether I should simply turn and walk back to the truck, climb in, and leave the premises. No... I was here... I would prevail.

After about 6 or 7 "click" sounds, a small man in a white jumpsuit (clearly a trustee) came to the front door of the building, opened it, and yelled "PULL ON THE GATE!" I laughed, waited for the now-familiar "click", and did so. It opened as did the second gate. I walked into the building laughing at how amusing the whole scenario must have been!

The "reception" area was not exactly a "Better Homes and Gardens" environment. After walking to the fully-shielded area where two young ladies sat behind the glass (or plastic?), I advised I was there for a 10:30 interview. (It was now 10:25.) They advised me to have a seat and they would let someone know I had arrived. I took a seat on a 3-butt bench and pondered the metal-detector that one had to pass through before being allowed behind the door into the working bowels of the building. (Yep... another locked entry.)

So... as I sat in my fully-appropriate interview attire wondering if I would have to pass through the metal detector, a female who clearly had knowledge of the workings of the magic gates outside walked through the front door of the building. I will simply describe her appearance as "rough." She walked up to the shield, spoke to one of the ladies behind it, and was told to have a seat. Now, there were two chairs available that were 90 degrees to the bench I was on. Yep. She came to join me on the bench. I continued to scan the area to determine if "Correctional Facility decor" was something I should consider. (It is not.) Sure enough... she turns to me and says "Well, they don't get in any hurry here, do they?"

I was raised to be polite. I will say "Bless You" to a perfect stranger if I hear a sneeze. I will say "Thank You" to anyone who even LOOKS like he or she will assist me. I say "Excuse Me" even if I pass in front of someone in the grocery store who is debating which pasta sauce to buy!! My upbringing dictated I acknowledge her comment even though the question was clearly rhetorical.

I glanced in her direction, said "Well, it is a government job", smiled, and looked back out front where my truck awaited. It shouldn't be a problem. It was almost 10:30, the golden hour. Someone would come to the door and ask me into the back any minute now.

I believe the smile is what tagged me as a sucker. She began telling me the story. Hubby had been incarcerated over the weekend and he had the cash on him when he was picked up that she needed to bail him out. She had been to the County Jail where she was told to come to this facility where she was told she would have to get paperwork from the County Jail... ad infinitum. As I pondered silently what Hubby might have done to find himself in jail, she revealed his failure to pay child support (whew!) as the infraction. She also told me all about their house, how they had been working on it, how she had to be at work at 2:00 p.m. that day (I'm only hoping she intended to shower and dress before then!), and (this was the best part) how she was Bi-Polar but had decided to quit taking her medications as they made her feel even worse. Great. For those of you who will get this reference, I will say I felt as though I had been put on the "Group W bench" with Arlo Guthrie. (Those who don't get it will need to watch "Alice's Restaurant" in order to understand.)

The clock continued ticking. It was now 10:40 a.m. and no one had even appeared to be approaching to save me. Nice.

My new "friend" was called up to the shield and told that she would need to go BACK to the County Jail for something. That's when she lost it... sort of. She began ranting to the ladies behind the shield, telling them about her Bi-Polar not-on-meds situation, while I began thinking this was probably not really the environment in which I would thrive. :) At last, she stormed out of the building, through the gates (which apparently work fine in reverse!), and walked toward whatever vehicle had brought her to the building. Whew! Okay.

At 10:45 a.m., I was called to the back. Yes, I had to put my purse on the shelf, walk through the metal detector, and respond to "Are you carrying any tobacco products on you?" Nope. A very nice lady (HR person) greeted me. The first thing I told her was how they really SHOULD place something on the front gate that directed folks on what to do when the gate went "click!" I shared my story while we walked to the back for the introductions and interview. She thought that might be a good idea and wondered why there wasn't something out there already. DUHHHHH!

Alright. I have just changed the title of this post from "Tips for Correctional Facility Interviewing" to "Tips for Correctional Facility Access." It's gone too long already so I'm not going to continue with how the interview went. I'll try to get to that another time. For now, just know that I received a VERY nice letter from the warden (a woman who I immediately liked!) indicating they had filled the position (note to self: not with you!), but I should continue to check their web site for future positions.

And so... I remain unemployed but still seeking. If any of you know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone (which is apparently how one gains employment here!), please mention my name!!

Until the next post...

No comments: