Sunday, October 4, 2009

ART REIGNS AND THE FAIR IS COMING

Howdy, Blogging Pals!! Thanks for stopping by!

Alright. A lot of odds and ends to cover.

Let's begin with my job-seeking status. I'm still looking. It is fortunate for me that I do not harbor self-esteem issues (!) since I received two rejection letters last week. :) I continue to throw my resume' out there and ask anyone I meet if they know of any employment opportunities.

Since my return here, I had noticed an occasional blurb in the local paper about "RAD" which stands for RealArt DeRidder, an artists' cooperative opening a new art gallery here. Come to find out that one of my high school-era chums, Joey, had a big part in getting it organized. You'll remember him from Goober Folk Art fame (posting last December)!! The Wednesday paper indicated there would be a Grand Opening this past Saturday night. Couldn't miss that!! Heck no! I scrubbed up appropriately for a public appearance and sashayed on downtown to attend. It was really great, folks! Seriously! There were about 100 pieces on display from a large number of local artists. A few were not for sale but most were available and at very reasonable prices (in my humble opinion). The turnout was FABULOUS! I arrived at 6:00 p.m. when things were just getting started. There were already about 30+ folks milling about. I chatted with the few folks I knew, introduced myself to a couple of the artists I didn't know, and milled about with the rest of the gang. It was great fun. Within 30 minutes, the place was PACKED!! I must admit I made my escape at that point, primarily because I knew I could return at any time and it is hard to view art on the wall when there are people's heads flashing back and forth across it. *chuckle* I signed on as an "Extreme RADical Supporter." I look forward to the future shows, etc., and hope these folks get the recognition they deserve!

Okay... now the BIG news! The Beauregard Parish Fair is coming. Yes. Yes, it is. I know this means very little to those of you who have not been privileged in your lives to attend any one of the previous 80 fairs... and I am sorry for you. But I, having marched in and ridden in the Fair Parade on different occasions, look forward to this event in a way you cannot possibly understand. It's a ritualistic annual event in this town. As a child, I loved stopping at the Lions Club Booth for a chili dog (or greasy hamburger!) and a Coke. The ice cream sandwich man's little kiosk was a favorite place to end the evening. As a teenager, I strolled the midway with my pals, secure in the knowledge that we were the most fabulous, most brilliant, most everything there was on those fairgrounds that evening. :) (This knowledge could be quickly dispelled upon the unfortunate event of "cookie-tossing" by any one of us dumb enough to ride The Zipper shortly after consuming food.) As an adult... well, I haven't really had the opportunity to catch the Fair as a full-blown, card-carrying person over the age of 30 yet. But I will. Oh yes, I will. And you will attend vicariously through me!!! There will be photos and descriptions and comments to ponder.

I leave you with that little tease. I will do my utmost to impart to you the feeling of the Fair. It is something not really described with common words... but I will try my best.

Until the next post...

No comments: