Sunday, October 11, 2009

FINAL FAIR FUN - THE PETTING ZOO!

It's me again, Blogging Buddies! Let's take our final stroll through a portion of the Beauregard Parish Fair.

Join me at the Petting Zoo... which is not something I remember fondly as it did not exist when I was a young'un. I will tell you, though, it is certainly fun to visit and I highly recommend it.

There are a lot of critters in south Louisiana and not all are found just any ol' where... but I can guarantee you this Zebra is not indigenous to the area!! He was very sweet and very mellow.

These fine fellas are not really appropriately attired for our weather. They would be better served to have been sheared before their arrival in our 90+ degree heat!! But if you plan to travel where it's cold, an Alpaca sweater would be an excellent choice to keep you warm.

Our Zebra friend had a little Camel pal, a Dromedary Paint Camel to be specific. There were actually two camels and I'll show you the other one shortly.

Okay. So I looked long and hard at these two guys and had NO idea what they were or from where they came. The signage (thank goodness for that!) indicated these are Patagonian Cavies (AKA South American Jack Rabbits). They were very interesting and appeared to have very long rear legs but with a "standard" cottontail rabbit upper body and ears. Check out the link for more information! (This is an educational blog, you know!)

Here is that other little Camel. These guys were both 10 months old. I don't know if they were twins but they sure looked as if they were! Very sweet and not yet one of those "vile-tempered spitting" camels. This one was happy to allow me to stroke his nose. I was happy to do so.


Finally, there was a Wallaby to see. Most of you know they look like small Kangaroos but they have their very own personality.

Thank you all so very much for sharing the Beauregard Parish Fair with me. I hope you saw something that sparked a memory or made you laugh! I enjoyed being your guide.

Until next time...

1 comment:

melanie said...

hey mary nell. suzy cooper tells me that you are back in town. love your blog!