Thursday, October 8, 2009

IT'S THE FAIR!! HOORAY!!

Hello there, Blogging Pals! I am SOOOOO happy you dropped by today. This will be the first of FOUR (yes... count them... FOUR!) posts covering the Beauregard Parish Fair. There was just so much to photograph but I don't want to overwhelm you!!


Without further ado, let's start at the beginning. (For those who know the Fair, you know there is a "path" one follows!)

We'll start out by purchasing our ticket. It was Senior Citizen's Day but I was a few years shy of the age requirement to make it in for free. Sigh.


If you have been to the Fair before, you will remember the "entries" were in the main building where you got your ticket. That has changed so we will move through that building, past all of the folks wanting to sell us something, out onto the open air fairgrounds. We will take an immediate right past the American Legion booth and walk into the covered livestock pens area. This is really my favorite part!!

When I was a kid, chickens were pretty much white with red combs and the key to winning was to have the biggest, healthiest, happiest chicken. Things have changed a bit!! The chicken breeding world has clearly expanded greatly and there are now many "exotics" from which to choose! Here are a few for your viewing pleasure. I'm sorry you can't hear the VERY happy rooster who felt the need to crow the entire time I was walking up and down the duck/chicken rows. :)


This little gal was very attractive with her black & white feathers and that very contemporary hairdo!! (And no, she does not have "human legs." Those belong to the woman on the other side of the cage!)


The lady on the left appeared to be set for a very "formal" day while the lady to the right looked more like she was dressed for a fun shopping day with the "girls." :)


This little goat was far more interested in the hay than in me!! It took quite a bit of talking to get even this brief look!! (I'm sure it would have been more accommodating had it known it was blog-fodder!)


These two, on the other hand, were VERY interested in having their picture made and stood up straight and looked forward to make things easy on us all. I was very appreciative.


Now then... don't EVER let anyone convince you that pigs aren't smart. You'll notice that, in the whole "barnyard" here, only the pigs were smart enough to be taking "siesta" in the 93 degree heat!! Go Piggies!!!


This Brahman was the only one as smart as the pigs although the breed is known as one of the more intelligent. I always liked the way these guys looked since they were very distinctive. They were brought over from India and were descendants of the "sacred cows" of that continent. While there were plenty of good ol' Black Angus-types at the fair, I chose this specimen for the photo opp.

So, I hope you have enjoyed our stroll through the livestock area. I certainly did! It was always one of my favorite stops at the Fair. I reckon I'm just a country gal at heart. I'll have to look into some of those "fancy" chickens for the "last house!" :)

Stay tuned!! There remain Exhibits of varying items, the Midway, and the Petting Zoo to visit!! It's going to take at least three more days, Blogging Buddies!!

Until next time...

No comments: