Sunday, May 15, 2011

BON VOYAGE, FAUX AUNTIE JO!!

I sit at my laptop with a heavy heart this afternoon, Blogging Buddies.

Some of you know of Faux Auntie Jo.  Some of you do not.  I refer you back to a previous post or two where she was mentioned:
August of 2009 - http://louisianatown.blogspot.com/2009/08/pear-pickin-party-partner.html and http://louisianatown.blogspot.com/2009/08/goulash.html.

Faux Auntie Jo and I knew of each other but had not spent any time together.  My aunt and I traveled quite a bit beginning in 2002 and Faux Auntie Jo became part of our travels a little later.  This was when I discovered what a fabulous, hilarious, gracious individual Faux Auntie Jo was and when she began to join us on future travels.  Her attitude was always one of looking ahead to the next great adventure while thoroughly enjoying the present one.  She was completely willing to "go with the flow" even when it wasn't necessarily as pleasant as one would wish.  Her enthusiasm meant we had to do EVERYthing available for us... even when perhaps a nap would have been a little more welcome!

Faux Auntie Jo got her nickname from me when I got tired of introducing my aunt as my aunt and then having to introduce Jo as "my aunt's and my friend, Jo" or something equally as tongue-tying!  Since we had become good pals and she trusted me to schedule, book, and manage her travels along with ours, I simply decided she should be my Faux Auntie Jo.  It stuck and remained what I called her from that point forward.  She seemed to like that.

As you have likely gathered due to the past tense language, Faux Auntie Jo departed on life's final Great Adventure on Thursday morning, May 12th.  I had been monitoring her situation and had visited her the Tuesday prior, holding her hand and laughing about some of our "great adventures" together.  She was very gracious, even at this time, and smiled at me as I reminded her of some of the fun we had enjoyed.  She had told me she had experienced a wonderful life and was ready to move on.  She left peacefully and without pain, for which we are all grateful.

So... even as I grieve about the loss of a fine friend and know I will miss her terribly, I wave a hearty farewell and wish my Faux Auntie Jo a BON VOYAGE!!!  I am certain it will be so.
Until next post...

No comments: