Tuesday, May 3, 2011

'BURB BIRTHDAY AND TIRE GARDENING UPDATE

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies!! I see it has been FAR too long since I last posted.

I am relieved that Usama Bin Laden has met his demise as I imagine many of you are, too. However, remember that, while he was the symbol of terror to us due to 9/11, he was only one person. Things will not change dramatically and you will still need to be aware of your surroundings and those around you.

My trusty Suburban turned 10 years old in April. Interestingly enough, it also turned 100,000 miles during that month. We (the 'Burb and I) were on a road trip at the time so I snapped the turned odometer as well as the location which was Onalaska, Texas. Yep. You read it right.



I had a lovely week in April taking advantage of some much-needed R&R. A fabulous B&B, multiple wineries toured, and a few days of no schedule or agenda made for an improved attitude. I highly suggest each of you do the same or something similar in your near future!

The tire garden was planted March 26th. The spousal-unit had brought some "magic dirt" from our place in Segovia, Texas, with which we replaced the dirt in 3 of the 5 tires as well as the 2 containers holding the grape tomatoes. I admit to being somewhat skeptical since the property in Texas is primarily comprised of rock, cactus, and occasionally some grasses and flowers when it rains... which it does rarely. I happily concede his correctness regarding the soil. If you take a peek at the group of tires, the two that are front and right in the photo contain one Cherokee Purple tomato plant and several Jalapeno plants, respectively. Those are the 2 tires that did NOT get "magic dirt" this year. Notice that the two other Cherokee Purple tomato plants are at least TWICE the size of the front one. They have the advantage of the "magic dirt." There has been no difference in fertilization/watering of these plants. The three tomato plants were purchased at the same time and were the same size when they were planted.
My close-up skills are apparently lacking. For some reason, even though I am capturing the item I want close-up in the "crosshairs" of the lens, my camera seems to focus on the ground!! Not surprised. I am NOT a photographer by any stretch of the imagination. Hopefully you will see the items I was focusing on... the Juliet grape tomatoes, the Cherokee Purple tomatoes, and the Persian Limes.




I am looking forward to my harvest! There are also a good number of satsumas on the little trees we have as well as some blueberries on a lone bush that will hopefully mature.

So... while I don't have anything fascinating to impart to you today, I wanted you to know that spring has definitely sprung here in southwest Louisiana and we look toward the summer.

Until next post...

No comments: