Sunday, November 6, 2011

YOU ATE WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?

 Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies!

Well... you just never know exactly what will be coming your way any day you get out of bed, do you?

So... perhaps some of you remember Demon, the tuxedo kitty that is very appropriately named.
Older and Lazy!!!
In his prime... After that swinging mouse!
Buddying up to the frog
He has done pretty well since the loss of his pal, Dude, in August of 2010.  He seems to have adapted nicely to being the only kitty in the house and has become a bit more "lap-loving" than he was when he had a pal with which to play.

Apparently, he has NOT figured out that dining should be done only from his bowl.  Sigh.  I caught him once with a HUGE amount of ribbon in his belly.  There was a piece still sticking out so I gently removed it by pulling.  That was when we realized we would have to make certain there was nothing left he could reach that might tempt him!

He began seeming very lethargic last week.  The other thing about an inside-only cat is the ability to monitor the litter box.  When I reached the morning of the third day without solid production, I called the vet.  While there was a suggestion of a Fleet's to see if that would help, I assure you I was not about to kitty-wrangle a cranky, fully-clawed, well-toothed cat to provide such an assist!!!  I have already had experience with making the kitty unhappy... and can show you the scars!  So... I loaded him into the carrier and took him to the vet's office.

About an hour later, I have a call from the vet advising the little fella's X-ray shows a "marble-looking" object firmly lodged in his large intestine and he will need emergency surgery in order to get that out of there and save the cat.  Sigh.  Knowing full well this is going to cut into the Christmas funds, the go-ahead is given and I am assured I will receive a call when he is in recovery.

I receive the call that he has come through surgery nicely and they have saved the "whatever it is" that was removed.  I ask that they keep it as I want to see it.  With all the care taken around here to keep things away that he might be tempted to eat, I really want to know what he found!  I am told I can pick him up at 4:00 that afternoon.  Fine.

I arrive at the vet's office and am ushered into an exam room where the vet and I both scratch our heads over some gooey, gummy, dark green, felt-looking stuff that the vet had retrieved from the duma$$ cat's large intestine earlier in the day.  Neither one of us had a clue as to what it was or where it might have come from.  The cat is then brought in, unhappily I might say, and his stitches are displayed for me.  *chuckle*  I know the cat would never eat another thing outside of his bowl if he had the ability to correlate the hellish day he had just had with doing so.

I am sent home with a VERY groggy kitty, two medications that must be given orally each day, and a receipt that blew Christmas all to hell and back.  Sigh.  Oh well.  That's what it means to be a pet-owner, I reckon.

So... he experienced this all on Friday.  He did nibble some food Saturday morning and was eating quite well by Saturday afternoon.  He still has trouble jumping up onto the bed but is determined and usually makes it the 2nd or 3rd try.  He is still moving a bit slowly but seems to be improving almost hourly.  Now all we are waiting on is some "production" from the food he ate Saturday.  That is our final milestone to reach in order to not be further concerned.

I won't bore you with the details when we reach the final milestone.  You have probably had a little TMI (too much information) already.

Until next post...

No comments: