Friday, November 14, 2008

GIMME SHELTER...

This town has an animal shelter... but cannot take in dogs over about 35-40 pounds due to the restricted size of the cages. Even with this disadvantage, the shelter stays VERY busy working to rescue dogs and cats. They have a garage sale every other weekend (Fri/Sat) selling donated items and items "rescued" from other sales. On the interval weekends, they pile in the cleaned up, groomed, ready-to-be-adopted critters and drive them about an hour and a half to the nearest town with a PetSmart!! They typically have good success there adopting out the cuties.

Okay. Kind of interesting but why am I telling you this? Well, it's because of my aunt's next-door neighbor, Susan, whom I have met and who really is a great gal!! She is probably near my age, has grown children, lives alone, drives a big ol' Ram pickup as well as rides her very own motorcycle. She is VERY cool and has a wonderful, loving personality that makes her the ideal volunteer for the local shelter. She is retired but probably spends more time working at and for the shelter than most folks spend working at their paid job. She "owns" five small dogs and a large cat. She ALSO fosters some of the shelter critters while they are recovering from surgery, heart worm treatment... whatever. So there is a very happy household right next door and Susan will frequently call and ask if she can pop over bringing one of the critters. HECK YEAH!! I get my "pet fix" (since I had to leave my two big kitties in Austin) while my aunt gets to see some really cute critters without any responsibility for them.

Two of our recent visitors include "TinkerBelle" (who I insist on calling "YodaBelle" which you will understand when you see the pic) and "Pokey" (who was recovering from surgery and slated to be adopted out soon). So you can appreciate the fun we have when the visitors arrive, I thought you might want to see them.

This is YodaBell sitting in her "mom's" lap.

This is Pokey, living up to his name.

So, I hope you enjoy these guys. As more visitors appear, I will try to get photos of them and share them with you. So far, all stories have had happy endings... and that's what we're shooting for with all of them!!

No comments: