Sunday, November 16, 2008

WHO IS IN THE KITCHEN?!?!?!?

Well now... those of you who know me well are very aware I am kitchen-challenged. I do a few things extremely well (family recipes including from-scratch sweet potato pie and from-scratch potato cake) and most other things with as little involvement as possible (where is that can-opener?). Thank Heaven for the Ron-Man, the spousal-unit with a propensity to grill anything and everything and his immunity to all weather environments!! Without him, I would be a lot thinner. (Hmmmmmmm? I hadn't thought about that before.)

So... finding myself in a "foreign" land with no yard work to be done and a need to be inside a good part of the day, it was looking a little grim. During the week, I get out and make my 45-minute walk (although I miss my Austin walking partner, Ginny!). I also make a few runs for essentials like banking, mail, and the ever-so-fabulous Wal-Mart adventure. But that is pretty much Monday through Friday.

My first weekend here was filled with some "rat-killing" like finding things, getting myself settled into a secondary bedroom, and figuring out how efficiently I could organize myself. I also met two of the new caregivers, finding one to be terrific and one to be sorely lacking in the skills we need here. (That was resolved quickly, however, so no worries!)

My second weekend here was a little less stressful in terms of organizing and monitoring. Things had become a bit less harried and we had settled in with caregivers who can provide appropriate assistance. It was more relaxed and we even had a little impromptu gathering of a couple of folks on Sunday evening that was rather festive with stories told and expanded upon!

Okay. It is the third weekend. There are no needs that require immediate attention. There are no projects requiring any real skill. I am at a loss. There are, however, a few remaining Fuji apples from the 12-pack I brought over from my Texas CostCo. What to do? What to do? AHA!!! Eureka!!! Baked apples! Why not? It can't be THAT hard, can it? To the internet for a recipe then to the kitchen for location of appropriate ingredients, utensils, and dishes. Baked apples all around for this afternoon's snack. (They actually were edible although my aunt and the Sunday caregiver chose to add Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla to theirs. Hmph!)

The saving grace... I will be heading back to Texas this coming Thursday the 20th so will not have a fourth weekend with time on my hands. In fact, I will probably look forward to returning to Louisiana in December where I don't see something that needs to be done everywhere I turn!!
Until the next...

No comments: