Tuesday, November 11, 2008

YOU CAN'T GO HOME AGAIN!!

Well, that's what they say anyway. However, I find myself back in the small town in southwest Louisiana where I grew up, attended school from the first grade through high school graduation, and escaped shortly thereafter to the draw of the big city lights in Austin, Texas.

My aunt had a little setback with her health in September culminating with pneumonia and pleurisy in October. I felt like I needed to "project manage" the situation for a while to make certain she was receiving appropriate care. So... with the (almost too happy?) blessing of my spousal-unit, I set up a schedule to hang out in Louisiana about 20-21 days each month for a while until I am satisfied that my aunt is back on her feet. I arrived "back home" on Halloween. Perhaps that was a harbinger of the things to come?

It has been 11 days. I have been to the Super Wal-Mart three times so far. (This is the largest retail environment in the town!) I have listened to employees there yelling from one end of the aisle to the other and been snappily informed "We're not open!" by the deli lady who eventually warmed to me and advised they weren't open due to the "holes in the roof where they are putting in a sprinkler system." Oh. Okay. I'll come back (maybe... if I'm not too afraid!).

Just to give you a general idea, you can get from one far side of town to the other in 5 minutes (less if you catch the red light green!). The big industry here is a Boise Cascade paper mill... appropriately placed since the entire place is covered in giant pine trees. There are a few of the ubiquitous fast food outlets (McDonalds, Burger King, Sonic) and some family-owned restaurants that are worth a visit (The Catfish Hut is a rockin' place!).

Okay... that's the beginning of this blog. I don't know how long it will continue as I don't know how long my "commute" will continue. I'll keep you posted right here. So... sign up for the email feed if you want the news right away!! Or... just drop in when you feel like a chuckle. There is a lot I have to tell you about this place and what goes on in it. :)

4 comments:

Boston Girlies said...

You know what??? They say there is no place like home.....And I believe to be true.

You are your aunts angel :-)

Boston Girlies

SW Austin Bubba said...

Back in the big town of De Ridder, LA! Wow, how lucky you are. Glad to see they have the internet there! OK, I'll stop busting on DR. I too came from a small town (or at least it was when I left there). In some ways it's good to hear that DR has not changed that much since I was last there (about 22 years ago). I wonder if my old room mate is still there? He was living with his parents, who I suspect have most likely moved on to the other side of life by now. Maybe even old Ben has too.

Hope your Aunt is doing better (pity the care giver who does not provide the best when yo are around). Take care girl and hopefully we can get together for coffee when you are home next (Austin that is).

Steve B

Anonymous said...

The hometown newspaper has a better website than the Statesman! I look forward to reading all about life in small town, Louisiana

Joe Gimenez said...

Hmmm... for someone who was hesitant about blogging earlier in the year it seems you have really taken well to this medium. I've already subscribed -- otherwise I'd miss you too much. Keep the updates coming and I hope your Auntie gets better soon!
Joey G