Tuesday, December 15, 2009

CAREGIVERS - GOD'S GIFT

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Buddies! My apologies for the delayed posting. Those of you who know me well will understand that I was "down" with a physical challenge that precluded my ability to sit and type. Getting old ain't for the weak!! :) Thank goodness for a spousal-unit with a strong back and a mellow attitude. I am NOT a good patient!! But I am back and glad to be upright again. LOL!!

The tone of this blog is one of seriousness albeit with a little humor sprinkled in (as always!). I feel as though I have been remiss in lauding the Caregivers who kindly, tirelessly, and faithfully provide assistance to my aunt (and to others in the community). I was thinking about this the other day when I was in need of my own personal Caregiver! It is probably a relatively thankless job and I do try to remember to thank our Caregivers at my aunt's house. If I have not done so recently, I apologize for my lax attitude and want them all to know how much I truly appreciate what they do!!! In fact... I want all of YOU to know how fabulous they really are!

Debbie. Debbie became a member of the family during my mother's final illness in 2000. While my mother spent the last 10 months bedridden, she suffered no ill effects (bedsores) which is a huge indicator of the care that was taken to make sure she did not. There were other ladies taking shifts with my mother but Debbie was there during the work week. She monitored my mother's condition and took it upon herself to make sure the other caregivers were doing their best. (Understand that all of the ladies were really great during this time and I would hire any one of them again if they were seeking employment!) Debbie is one of those very special individuals who cares deeply about her patients. She becomes their friend... their confidante. She pays close attention to their likes and dislikes, making certain to provide their likes as often as possible. She listens to them even when they are not in a particularly good mood and sympathizes with the situation... whatever it is. She is a loving, caring, patient individual and one we should all strive to be like. I am so blessed that she remained friends with us all and is now my aunt's primary Caregiver. Oh... and she does all of this for others while handling her own household of one hubby and 3 boys. The boys are all out on their own now... but she still takes care of them in some ways. Thank you, Debbie, for selflessly sharing your time with us.

Carolyn. Carolyn was caring for the aunt of another lady. That aunt, unfortunately, passed on. When I was desperately trying to find someone in September of 2008 who could pull some hours, I was referred to Carolyn by the woman whose aunt had recently been in Carolyn's care. The recommendation was glowing. This was how I met my new friend, Carolyn. Carolyn came to join us and immediately fit in. She had been in the town for a good long while and knew many of the people my aunt knows. They had plenty of things to chat about and Carolyn was able to make some of those "connections" that are so important in a small town (who knows who, who is/was married to who, who is at what firm, who is retiring, etc.). She became enamored with one of the "pound puppies" that the neighbor, Susan L., brought over for a visit with my aunt and ended up adopting "Little Bit." We are now always curious and ask about how "Little Bit" is doing!! That little dog is apparently devilish, at best!! Carolyn always has a story about how "Little Bit" has gotten into something, gotten out of something, or gotten a bath due to something!! We enjoy the stories and the time Carolyn spends with us. Thank you, Carolyn, for your time and your energy.

Edith (AKA Edie). I was in a bind and needing one more person to cover the remaining shift periods needed. I found myself in the office of a local service that provides this type of care. I was speaking with the lady behind the counter while another lady was sitting on the couch and laughing with me (as you know I was likely "embellishing" my tale of woe!). After telling the lady behind the counter what hours and days I still needed, the young lady on the couch piped up with "I'll take it." This was my introduction to my new friend, Edie. She is also my spousal-unit's fiancee' which is very complicated but involved the gifting of some flea-market cast iron cookware from my spousal-unit to Edie (after she had mentioned her love of rescuing, restoring, and using such cookware) which she mentioned would mean they were engaged in some countries. I'm not certain exactly what relationship that makes Edie to me but I really don't care! She is a sheer delight!! She is always smiling. She loves to cook which makes her my aunt's new best friend (as my aunt loves to eat almost as much as Edie loves to cook!). Edie is just one of those folks you love immediately and want to keep around as much as possible. Oh... did I mention she brings "trash" magazines for my aunt to read? Oh yes. All of the best gossip rags with photos and captions and all of those things!! My aunt loves it. Thank you, Edie, for that radiant and never-ending smile and good humor.

So... while we all hope we never find ourselves in a position to have to rely on others' kindness for our daily lives, I want to tell you all that there are people out there who will gladly take us on in our need. They are sometimes difficult to find... and sometimes God just drops them down to us out of nowhere. I am incredibly thankful for Debbie, Carolyn, and Edie. I cannot even imagine what I would do without them. I watch them and try to learn from them. The job is not an easy one. The rewards aren't terribly exciting. But they so graciously take care of what needs to be done with a smile. We could all learn something from them.

That's it for today, Blogging Pals. I feel much better having told you how grateful I am for these old and new friends. I wish you all well and will post again soon.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Thanks Mary Nell. That really means alote to me..