Saturday, December 5, 2009

OH, THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS FRIGHTFUL

Hello again, Blogging Buddies!!

Well, they told us it was going to happen. I didn't believe it for a minute. It was only December 4th, a non-descript Friday, and it just didn't seem likely to me.

I was wrong.

The morning was grey and nippy... just another nearly-winter day in southwest Louisiana. Nothing to write home about. Then 2:40 p.m., CST, arrived. What IS that stuff?!?!?!? The poor Suburban was terrified, trying to squeeze itself into a still-full-of-boxes garage!!
I figured it would be like nearly every other "snowfall" in the south. Impressive for about 15 minutes of fame... then gone.

I was wrong.

After about an hour of light falling, the flakes began getting larger and the quantity began to be sufficient to consider accumulating!! This shot is about 2 hours into the festivities. Those large white splotches aren't aliens... or Louisianians... they are snowflakes.

Okay. So it's been fun. Can't make a snowman... or woman. Can't even make a good snowball. It will stop soon.

I was wrong.

We're about 3 hours in now. It's almost dark. Surely this won't go on any longer.

T'was the night before Saturday,
and all through the coffers,
No bets were being made,
There were simply no golfers!
[My apologies to Clement Clarke Moore (1779 - 1863)]

Okay. I apologize. I believe it. I was wrong. We are at about hour 4 now... and it still shows no sign of letting up.
Neither Louisiana Pelicans nor Mexican Frogs (Poor Senor Rana!) were safe!!! This stuff was NOT letting up. We're about 6 hours into it now... and I'm going to bed. One of two things will happen. This will either stop soon and we will have a light covering of snow on the ground in the morning... or it will continue and I won't be leaving the house until springtime.

Saturday was a beautiful day with sunshine but still cold weather. The low overnight from Friday to Saturday was 27 degrees according to my Weatherbug (get yours at http://ww2.weatherbug.com/aff/default.asp?zcode=z6164&gclid=CJ_Xmo6-wJ4CFdx05QodAyW7ow) so I'm guessing some of the greenery you have seen in these photos will no longer be with us in a couple of days. We didn't make it out of the 40s but we all know that won't continue. We'll probably be in shorts again (those of you who actually still WEAR shorts!) by mid-week. Sigh.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. It does not compare with the great winter snow of 1959/60, and I don't think we will ever see that again in this part of the world, but it was just enough to actually have a cup of hot chocolate and pretend it did this all winter long. On the other hand, I'm glad it doesn't. :) After all... I bleed Southern... and snow is not attractive for flip-flop wear!!

Until next time...

No comments: