Monday, July 23, 2012

GOODBYE TO MY FRIEND, DR. GEORGE FISHER

Heidy-Ho, Blogging Pals.

Unfortunately, today's post is a farewell to yet another fallen friend.  Interestingly enough, I would have never known this friend had I not returned here for the time I am needed.

So... when I had a need for a local dentist, I inquired about referrals from my friends who had lived here for a long time.  One of my friends suggested I contact Dr. Fisher's office.  I did so and found myself facing an absolute BEAR of a man in the standard-issue white coat and gloves.  I don't know the actual statistics for this bear but he was tall enough to make my 5'10" frame seem short and could have easily engulfed me like an amoeba surrounding a meal!!  Yep.  Dr. George (he hated it when I called him that!) was a big ol' boy.  Oh... and I did quit calling him Dr. George in favor of referring to him as "Curmudgeon."  :)  Don't think he was really fond of that either but it was all in good fun.

Turns out he was a big ol' Teddy Bear with a wonderful and quick sense of humor.  We got along famously.  He persisted in teasing me about my "escape" to Texas from this town (if you don't know the details, ask me sometime).  I persisted in harassing him about his age and slow pace.  I believe we both enjoyed our witty repartee' and looked forward to the few occasions we would have the opportunity to engage in it.

In addition to providing dental services, "Curmudgeon" was the catalyst behind my Bucket List Stearman flight!  During a random conversation (which he made difficult by asking questions at the same time he had his "bear paws" inside one's mouth!), it came to his attention I loved the "twin" Stearman airplanes I had seen at the local airport during the annual "Wings and Wheels" festival.  He knew the owner and arranged our meeting which led to the eventual Bucket List flight for me.

Medical challenges in 2011 had him "down" for a short period but he popped back up quickly, ready to move forward.  There was nothing indicating a cause for concern.  Unfortunately, 2012 brought a medical challenge from which there was no escape.  So, I lost the "Curmudgeon" too soon and the entire town lost a fun, friendly, professional with a heart of gold.  He was well-liked and respected in the community.  His legacy will be a good one here.

I hope each of you has the good fortune to have not just one, but many "Curmudgeons" in your lives!!  They make sometimes unpleasant tasks more pleasant.  They make you laugh at yourself... a very healthy thing to do.  They also make you laugh WITH them.

I'll miss you, "Curmudgeon."  Save a joke for me!!

Until next post...

No comments: