Saturday, December 13, 2008

"HAPPY TALES"

Hello, again! Welcome back.

I have a Shelter update for you. When I introduced you to Yodabelle and Pokey in a prior blog, I was also aware of another little friend, Foxy. There was no mention of Foxy nor was there a photo. Let me tell you why. (Susan L., if you read this and need to correct me or add anything, please comment!)

Foxy is a 3-legged black Pomeranian. Foxy was a Shelter dog about 2 years ago but was adopted out. Happy ending, right? Well... not quite. When my aunt's neighbor, Susan (who you will recall is a major Shelter volunteer), and her friend visited a veterinarian's office, the friend noticed a sign indicating a black 3-legged Pomeranian had been found.

What are the odds, folks? Just how many 3-legged black Pomeranians do you think there might be wandering around southwest Louisiana? Exactly. The friend recalled having been part of adopting out a 3-legged black Pomeranian in the past and asked to see the dog. Yep. You got it! It was Foxy. No tags. No information. No notices anywhere indicating the owners had lost a dog and were looking for it. Just a sweet little Pom found after having spent too much time outside on its own.

So... the Shelter ladies took charge, took Foxy back under their respective wings, and submitted Foxy to another vet for a checkup including a heartworm check. When I met Foxy, the heartworm check was not yet done and Susan had a concern that the results would be positive, signaling a potential demise for the little Pom. This was the sweetest little dog but I just didn't have the heart to photograph her until we knew the heartworm test results. I didn't want to post her for you all to enjoy then have to tell you of a sad ending. I waited two days to hear from Susan with the results.

Foxy was pronounced healthy and heartworm-free! Fabulous!! She also was very quickly placed via a Pomeranian rescue organization and was to be transported to her new home shortly thereafter. When Susan called me with the good news, I asked her to let me get a photo of Foxy before she left the state. Susan called me the other night to tell me Foxy was to head out the next morning so we met quickly in the carport for a photo op! Do you see why I didn't want you to fall in love then get bad news?



So... "Happy Tales" to all of you until we meet again.

No comments: