Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"MIRACLE ON WASHINGTON"

Heidy-Ho!! I'm back in southwest Louisiana. This time I am armed with my trusty digital camera and actively seeking photo-worthy items/events!! Be ready!!

The first potential photo-worthy event could be the upcoming "Miracle on Washington" Christmas Festival on December 6th. The first thing you might want to know is that "Washington" refers to Washington Avenue which runs parallel to the railroad tracks and comprises the "downtown" (both blocks) of DeRidder. The second thing you might ask is what "Miracle" is being heralded. I don't know. That provides me with a reason to go. The biggest thing about this particular festival is that it includes the 4th Annual Gumbo Cook-off!!! Oh yes, my friends. Gumbo. The soul of the South. Louisiana's Chili. And I'm there for it.

You need to know there will be three gumbo categories; wild game (don't know if that will include roadkill... more later), seafood (if it lives in water, it counts), and non-seafood (if it ain't wild game or seafood, what would it be doing in gumbo... unless it's chicken & sausage?). Now the COOL thing about this is that festival attendees may vote for their favorite gumbo. Will I be casting a ballot? Oh, you BETCHA'!!! Yummy. Cannot wait. Watch for the full report (maybe with pictures?) next week.

Stay tuned. There is a whole "Christmas in the Park" to be reported on later although I missed the actual Festival which took place last Saturday, November 29th. I assure you there are a plethora of lighted items to photograph, however, so do not lose hope.

Best to all. I look forward to being your eyes and ears here in southwest Louisiana for this festive season.

No comments: